Sunday, May 30, 2010

Grandma Jane's Devilled Eggs

This is a recipe handed down from my husband' maternal grandmother, so, of course, the fact that it's "vintage" means I'm going to love it. Actually, I just saw on the recipe card that it actually came from Great-Grandma Day! Even better!

Now, I will say that at one point in my life, I completely abhorred anything and everything to do with eggs. I had gone to a birthday party (at around the age of 10 or so?) and had gotten sick from a hardboiled egg. SO...for the next 5 years or so, the sight, smell, taste, texture of anything-egg made me seriously gag. Thankfully, I was able to get over it because these devilled eggs are amazing! I think they were the first devilled eggs I had post-incident. :) They helped lure me back into the world of amazing egg products. I love this recipe because it has just the right amount of kick! I'm still not a fan or the rubbery egg whites, but the yellow filling more than makes up for it.

Ingredients:
12 extra large eggs
2 TBSP. yellow mustard
2 TBSP. vinegar
2 TBSP. mayonnaise
salt and pepper
paprika

Directions:
Cover eggs with water and boil 20-25 minutes. Cool and peel eggs. Slice in half lengthwise and place yolks in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Using a pastry blender or potato masher, mash yolks thoroughly. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.

Fill egg halves and top with paprika. Hint: Since yolk size varies, add more or less mustard, mayo, or vinegar, according or your tastes.