Sunday, May 30, 2010

Alice's Imitation Crab Salad

My M-I-L made this recipe for a family reunion, and I was hooked! I then made it for my whole family, and they loved it! This recipe sure makes a lot, but the way that my family ate it, that wasn't a problem!

Ingredients:
6 eggs
1/2 loaf (1 1b. sourdough bread, cubed)
1 1b. imitation crab meat, flaked
3 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 small onion, chopped
1 cup mayo
2 TBSP sour cream
salt and pepper to taste
dash of lemon juice

Directions:
Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil. Turn to medium and let boil for 15 minutes. Dump hot water off and run in cold water . Let them sit. (My mom taught me that HB eggs are easier to peel if they're not fresh--i.e. older than a week). Cool, peel, and chop.

Trim crust from bread and dice into cubes.

In a large bowl, combine bread cubes, eggs, crab, celery, onion, mayo, sour cream, salt and pepper. Mix together well and refrigerate.

Variations: Can add green onions or bacon bits (have not tried).