Saturday, July 3, 2010

Summer Shrimp Stir Fry


I am in love with this quick, easy, healthy, and tasty dinner! I have SO been craving something nutritious after all the junk I've been consuming lately. This was a real winner and a meal that I will definitely make again! The best part...every ingredient (except the shrimp) can be found in our communal family (mine and my parents) garden! Honestly, only the squash and zucchini came from there, but when I make this later on in the summer (after the corn and tomatoes are up), this meal will be even cheaper! This meal was simply awesome...I usually don't like squash/zucchini, but in combination with those tasty shrimpers, I couldn't help but love this (the butter didn't hurt either!). :)

Ingredients:
2 TBSP butter
2 TBSP olive oil
zucchini, sliced diagonally
yellow squash, sliced diagonally
4 garlic cloves, diced (I didn't have these, so I just sprinkled garlic powder in the butter/shrimp during this step--still turned out awesome!)
shrimp (peeled, deveined, tales left on)
2-3 ears of corn, kernels cut off
grape tomatoes, sliced in 1/2 lengthwise
salt and pepper
fresh herbs, if desired


Directions:
Heat 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet (I had to pull out my huge electric skillet!) over medium heat. Add minced garlic (or sprinkle garlic powder). When oil/butter is hot, add shrimp and cook for 3 minutes. Remove to a plate. Do not clean skillet.

Add the rest of the butter and oil and heat over medium heat. Add zucchini slices in a single layer and cook for one minute, tossing once. Scoot the zucchini to the edges of the pan, then add corn kernels to the middle of the pan. Cook for one minute. Add grape tomatoes, salt, and pepper, and toss around, then add shrimp. Cook for an additional 30 seconds, then remove from heat. Serve on a big platter.

Hint: Much better after it’s been allowed to cool for a bit!



P.S. I served this with CousCous w/ Chives and Saffron, from Darrenkamps. So good mixed together!